Sunday, August 31, 2008

Just Don't Comb Her Hair...



Today I went to a birthday party with my little cousin. It was held at a place were you can make a doll that looks like you. You can pick out clothes, get their hair coiffed, and even buy accessories for your doll. As soon as I walked in I was immediately wishing I was a little girl again. This place was super cool. I also wish that I had thought of the idea for this place because at $100 a pop for a doll (just the doll, nothing else), I'd be sitting pretty right about now.


After the party we walked around this doll haven and helped my little cousin pick out her doll. Oh what fun!!! I was almost as excited as she was. Naturally, we had to pick an outfit for the new baby doll, and as we passed by the 'Doll Beauty Salon', my little cousin wanted to get a new hairdo for her new doll. This is when I start thinking, "This shit is outta control, a hairstyle for the doll at $20???'. The doll gets strapped into the salon chair, a cape is placed around her neck, and the stylist proceeds to ask my little cousin how she wanted the doll's hair styled. She tells her and the stylist wets the hair and begins to style away. Fascinated, we watch her and listen to her as she tells my little cousin not to comb the dolls hair. This of course goes right over the head of my little cousin. I mean come on, besides dressing your doll in fancy clothes the next best thing is combing their hair.


The stylist mentioned one more time not to comb the hair and I was wondering why she said that again. So I figure that it must be important and I decided to ask her what will happen if we comb the hair. She said that if you comb the hair it will get frizzy and you wont be able to get the curls to come back. This is a $100 doll and you mean to tell me the hair can't be combed??? So I looked at my little cousin and asked her if she understood that she can't comb her baby's hair. Just like any cute little girl under the age of 7 would do, she looked at me like I was crazy, but then said yes. I chuckled because I'm sure she was thinking the same thing I was. Because this doll costs so much I asked (in a quiet voice) "What happens if she combs the hair? Can we bring the doll back here and you can work your hairstylist magic?" Are you sitting down? Are you ready for her answer? Are you sure?


The stylist looks at me and in a not-so-quiet voice she says, "No, you would take the doll to the 'Doll Hospital' and they would give her a new head". WTF!!!!!! A doll hospital? Replace the head? Are you kidding me? No, she wasn't. She was very serious. But even more serious than the stylist and funny as hell, was my little cousin. She heard the part about giving her doll a new head and she turned and looked at me with terror in her eyes, "What did she say? She's gonna take my baby's head off??? She's not sick, she doesn't need to go to the hospital!!!" OMG, I thought I would fall on the floor and pee my pants! I grabbed my little cousin and hugged her, reassuring her that her baby was fine and that we were talking about something else.


I'm having second thoughts about buying one of these dolls now. I, like my little cousin, would want to comb my doll's hair. When I think back to my childhood, I was pretty rough on my dolls. They suffered dismemberment (at the hands of my brother), underwater submersion, fashion disasters, and most of all countless bad hair days. Perhaps I will spend that $100 on a couple of pairs of sneakers...

2 comments:

Joe Arena said...

Wow, I need to get in on that scam. I believe I'll go get my doctorate in dollology now.

BronxStateOfMind said...

Put some long ass Persian pubic hair on the dolls head and i bet you it will NEVER lose its curl.